Best California fall foliage reports and locations.
Links to California Fall Foliage Reports:
- Natural History Wanderings Foliage Reports fall color reports posted on Natural History Wanderings
- Sierra Nevada Fall Color Season – Coming Sooner Than You Think! A detailed and informative blog posting on photographing Eastern Sierra Fall Color on the G Dan Mitchell Photography Blog.
- California Fall Color a blog that exclusively covers California fall color. It reports that it lost some of its funding so it may have less information this season.
- Parchers Bishop Creek best foliage report for the Bishop Creek Canyon area in the Eastern Sierra including North Lake, South Lake, Aspendell, and Lake Sabrina.
- Sierra Fall Colors Sacramento Bee map rating fall color at many Sierra Nevada locations. updated on Thursdays.
- California Nature Photographers Forum Fall Color Reports
- National Forest Region 5 Fall Colors reports include Inyo, Tahoe and Plumas National Forests
- Plumas County Fall Color (foliage reports and links to drives, map and brochure).
- Weather Channel Fall Foliage Map a map by the weather channel that reflects the current state of fall foliage throughout California.
Places to see Fall Foliage
- The Colors of Fall in California State Parks a list of California state parks that have good fall color and contact phone numbers
- Mono Country Fall Color Guide (eastern sierra brochure and map of fall foliage spots)
- Wanderlust: Fall foliage in the Bay Area article in San Jose Mercury News on Bay Area Fall Foliage locations.
- Discover Gold a six-day driving tour of fall foliage sites from Sacramento to Gold Country to Yosemite to the Central Valley. A possible problem is these areas don’t usually all turn at the same time, but it does cover many locations to consider.
- Bizz Johnson Trail Fall Foliage along the trail in the Eagle Lake section of BLM near Susanville. It usually peaks between mid-Oct to early November. Call BLM at 530-257-0456 to get current conditions.
- California offers Spectacular Fall Color an article by California travel and Tourism Commission on fall color locations throughout California
- Discover the Grandeur of California’s Fall Foliage YubaNet article on California Wildflower locations
- Finding Color in the Sierra Foothills and Beyond Sierra Foothill Magazine article includes Carson Pass, Hope Valley and Monitor Pass; Sonora Pass, Plumas County and Sierra Foothills
- Feather River Scenic Byway 130 mile drive starting in the Sacramento Valley, through the Sierra Nevada and finishing at the Great Basin. Considered a top 10 US fall foliage drive by Smarter Travel
- Autumn in Yosemite Michael Frye’s blog about where and when to see fall color in Yosemite
- Back roads with fall color in or near the San Gabriel Mountains posting by San Gabriel Mountains Chapter of the California Native Plants Society
Scenic Drives for Viewing Fall Colors in Northern California by Amy Beth Beaver in Ezine
Dye Creek Preserve a Nature Conservancy preserve near Red Bluff that has free guided hikes
Total Escape has locations to see fall color including towns with good fall color
Three very useful publications but unfortunately out of print are:
- Carol Leigh’s 29 California FALL COLOR Locations (used copies can be found through bookfinder.com)
- Carol Leigh’s California Photographer issue September/October 2005 issue article on “Best Places for Fall Color in and around Bishop”
- Carol Leigh’s California Photographer issue September/October 2006 issue article on “Best Color Locations in California’s Eastern Sierra”