Citizen scientists and partner biologists conduct shorebird surveys throughout California each year between November 15th and December 15th.
Interested in Counting Shorebirds?
Citizen science is at the heart of the Pacific Flyway Shorebird Survey. Citizen scientists conduct shorebird surveys between November 15 and December 15 annually. Our hope is to recruit volunteers who are excited about taking ownership of a route and survey each year in order to contribute to the conservation of shorebirds and their habitats in the Pacific Flyway over the long term.
Time Commitment: ~3 days:
- Training: Attend a protocol training session prior to the survey and get your site assignment.
- Scouting: Become familiar with your site, make sure you know the access points and how long it will take to cover the area.
- Survey: One day between November 15th and December 15th.
The best candidates for the project will
- have their own optics (binoculars and scope)
- posess reliable transportation
- be willing to follow a protocol and enter data online into CADC
- have computer knowledge and skills
- have a passion for and dedication to shorebird conservation
- be excited about making a long-term committment to the project
For general questions about volunteering please contact: Khara Strum firstname.lastname@example.org
There are Citizen Science opportunities in the following areas:
|Humboldt Bay||Mark Colwell||Humboldt State University||Mark.Colwell@humboldt.edu|
|Bodega Harbor||Jackie Sones||Bodega Marine Labemail@example.com|
|Tomales Bay||Emiko Condeso||Audubon Canyon Ranchfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Bolinas Lagoon||Lynne Stenzel||PRBO Conservation Scienceemail@example.com|
|San Francisco Bay||Dave Shuford||PRBO Conservation Sciencefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elkhorn Slough||Susie Fork||Elkhorn Slough Foundationemail@example.com|
|Morro Bay||Andrea Jones||Audubon Californiafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sacramento Valley Rice Country||Monica Iglecia||Audubon Californiaemail@example.com|