San Juan National Forest has a new fall color update 9/27/13
- Estimated Percentage of Current Fall Foliage:
- Durango – 15%
- Molas Pass – 25%
- Silverton/Red Mountain Pass – 55% aspens
- Pagosa – 15%
- Dolores/Rico – 10% aspens
- Mancos – 5%
Areas with Greatest Amount of Color / Recommended Viewing Areas:
- The best area right now would be Red Mountain Pass, north side into Ouray, and the alpine loop on the Lake City side.
- This weekend (Sept. 28-29) should be good on Hwy 550.
- 10,000 to 12,000 feet should be changing fast, especially north aspects.
- Dolores River valley improving quickly.
Estimated Peak Viewing Period:
- High country this week and next weekend
- Other passes/ high elevation aspen groves.
Viewing Suggestions / Tips: 4WD in Silverton and the alpine loop. Lake City to Creede. North side of Red Mountain Pass
Trees That Are Currently Turning Color: Aspens, grasses, willows and low scrub oak.
For More Information on Fall Colors Please Contact: San Juan Public Lands Center, Durango (970) 247-4874
- San Juan National Forest Fall Color 9/23/13 (naturalhistorywanderings.com)
- San Juan National Forest Fall Color 9/19/13 (naturalhistorywanderings.com)
- San Juan National Forest Fall Foliage 9/12/13 (naturalhistorywanderings.com)
- San Juan National Forest Fall Foliage 9/10/13 (naturalhistorywanderings.com)