New fall color report from the Arizona and New Mexico National Forests
Tonto National Forest
- Cave Creek Ranger District – The colors in the Seven Springs area are now at 95-100% changed. The leaves in the Needle Rock area are at a 30% color change. If you travel on Pima from the 101 toward Cave Creek, turn right on Dynamite which becomes Rio Verde. At the end of Rio Verde, turn left on Forest Road 20 which goes to Needle Rock Picnic Site and Needle Rock Beach. When first turning onto Forest Road 20, there is a road to the right which is Box Bar Road, follow this road and turn left before the Rio Verde Ranch. Follow the road into Box Bar, there is a little color change there also.
- Globe Ranger District – Not many colors are left in the Pinals. Due to the snow over the weekend and freezing at night, fallen leaves have left the majority of the trees bare.
- Mesa Ranger District – No color changes to report.
- Payson Ranger District – The season for color changes in this area is past its peak. Most of the leaves are slowly dropping with the recent change of weather.
- Pleasant Valley Ranger District – Due to the recent hard frost, most of the trees have lost their leaves, with the majority of them bare.
Fall colors are done for the season on the following Arizona National Forests: Apache-Sitgreaves, Coconino, Coronado, Kaibab and Prescott.
Fall colors are done for the season on all of New Mexico’s National Forests