About these ads
Posted by: Sandy Steinman | October 10, 2012

Chattahooche-Oconee National Forest Fall Color 10/10/12

Chattahooche-Oconee National Forest just posted the following fall color report

October 10, 2012: Dogwood, sourwood, poplar, maples and sweet gum are starting to show some color, but still only about 10% at best, leaving 90% mostly green across most parts of the forest. Our neighbors to the north are starting to show better color in the higher elevations.

Fall Color Outlook for 2012: The long range weather forecast by the National Weather Service indicates conditions will continue to be seasonal. Temperatures in the evenings have been in the low to mid 40s in the mountains. Although it’s been overcast for several days, the skies will be clearing this week and by Saturday, we could see some color at places like Brasstown Bald and Rabun Bald. Real color should show up by the weekend of the 20th and peak color will start spreading down the mountain slopes in the days that follow.

The scenic byways have that designation for a reason. Take advantage of the scenery and the overlooks.

Lakes often provide great photo ops with colorful reflections. Think Vogel State Park, Lake Winfield Scott, Lake Conasauga, Lake Hiawasee, Lake Blue Ridge, Lake Burton, Lake Rabun, Lake Russell.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 397 other followers

%d bloggers like this: