SoCal Wanderer had a posting on the best places to watch the stars in Southern California. This list includes:
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
- Tecopa (between Death Valley National Park and the Nevada border)
- Amboy Crater
- Mojave National Preserve (southern half) possibly the best spot to view stars.
- Death Valley
- The Sky’s The Limit Observatory and Nature Center (which will open in the near future)
For more information on each site go to: The 7 Best SoCal Desert Locations for Night Sky Viewing | Environment | SoCal Connected | Shows | KCET.